Ford, Hispanic College Fund grant scholarships to 17 Puerto Rican students
The Hispanic College Fund announced Wednesday the list of 17 Puerto Rican students that will receive scholarships sponsored by the Ford Motor Company Fund. These scholarships will not only help them pursue their higher education goals, but will ultimately help them start their careers as successful professionals, the company said.
“The jobs of the future demand a college education, which is why we must help our students obtain a college degree,” said Vicmar Paz, scholarship director, Hispanic College Fund. “We want future generations of Hispanics to be defined by their contributions as doctors, entrepreneurs, scientists and innovators. We thank Ford for helping us get closer to that goal.”
The scholarship recipients are pursuing careers in projected high-growth fields such as information technology, accounting and engineering. They have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.0 and are enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university.
The 17 students who received scholarships are:
- Julio Cesar Cruz Gonzalez, majoring in biology at the Inter American University of Puerto Rico – San Germán
- Axel Antonio García-Burgos, majoring in accounting at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
- Beatriz A. Quiñones, majoring in civil engineering at Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Darwin Orlando Sánchez, majoring in electrical engineering at the University of Puerto Rico, Arecibo campus
- Gilberto Ismael Jiménez-Orench, majoring in aerospace engineering at the UPR, Mayagüez campus
- Isamar Rosa, majoring in computer engineering at UPR, Mayagüez campus
- Joellys Delgado, majoring in biology at the University of Turabo
- Juan Carlos Santos, UPR, Mayagüez campus
- Kelvin Joe Santana-Rodríguez, majoring in biology at the UPR, Humacao campus
- Keysha Mary Torres, majoring in computer science at the Inter American University of Puerto Rico
- Monica Ivette Mercado, majoring in electrical engineering at the UPR, Mayagüez campus
- Nelian Edlin Colon, majoring in computer engineering at the UPR, Mayagüez campus
- Nelmari Bonano, majoring in computer engineering at the National College of Business and Technology – Bayamón
- Reynaldo A. Burgos, majoring in neuroscience at the Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico
- Samaris Torres, UPR, Cayey campus
- Tiffany Rohena, majoring in office administration at the UPR, Río Piedras campus
- Wilcanor Lopez, Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico – Ponce
“Education is a top priority for Ford and that’s why we’re proud to support Puerto Rican students through these scholarships,” said Joe Avila, community outreach manager, Ford Motor Company Fund. “We hope that the students follow their higher education dreams and applaud the Hispanic College Fund for its commitment to tomorrow’s innovators.”
The students will also become part of the national Web-based Ford Blue Oval Scholars network, launched in June 2007, which connects the thousands of recipients of Ford-funded scholarship.