As of Friday morning, some 20,000 OneLink Communications customers still had no service in the wake of storm Irene, company officials said.
“Like the rest of the island, the company was affected by the lack of electric power following the passage of storm Irene,” said Néstor Cardona, executive director of OneLink’s technical services.
“Close to 15 percent of our subscribers, or 20,000 homes, remain without cable service because electricity has not been restored in the nodes that feed those areas,” he said. “However, at present, more than 130,000 clients have OneLink services.”
This is the first time since the storm that OneLink has offered an update of its network status. This week, the company hired Avant Communications to handle its public relations and communications efforts.
OneLink is the San Juan metropolitan area’s cable provider, San Juan, Bayamón, Cataño, Trujillo Alto, Carolina, Toa Alta and Toa Baja.
Network overhaul on track
Earlier this year, News is my Business broke the story on how the company got the go-ahead from the Federal Communications Commission to scramble its basic channel lineup, a change that requires a $17 million capital investment to overhaul the network.
The company announced Friday that it has entered the final stage of the conversion, which blankets San Juan, Cataño, Guaynabo and Carolina. OneLink has already completed the change in Toa Baja, Toa Alta and part of Bayamón.
“The change has been a success. Subscriptions have increased by 10 percent due to the great reception given to the new digital signal,” Cardona noted.
The 100 percent digital infrastructure will pave the way for the arrival of as many new High-Definition channels, an increase in broadband Internet speeds to more than 50 Mbps and crisper image. The change will also mean that OneLink customers who do not currently use a set-top converter box to receive their basic service signal will have to pick one up.