Type to search


Dell launches new service division

Luis Montaño, Dell’s storage specialist for Puerto Rico and the Caribbean and Troy Montes, director of engineering sales and business solutions

Less than five months after acquiring storage solutions and data management developer Compellent Technologies for $960 million, Dell announced Wednesday the formal launching of Dell Compellent, a new service division in Puerto Rico.

Through Dell Compellent, the company best known for its consumer-oriented computer products, expects to zero in on large public and private sector operations that handle large volumes of data that could benefit from the automated management features the Compellent technology offers, said Troy Montes, director of engineering sales and business solutions for Dell.

Dell Compellent’s storage solutions, which compete head-on with the likes of IBM and Hewlett Packard, combine data movement, smart software and modular hardware to help users reduce their storage management costs by up to 80 percent, through a reduction in the amount of equipment needed and the energy to run it, said Montes.

“What we mean by that is that 80 percent of the budget that the average customer allocates in infrastructure is invested to keep the lights on, as we say here,” Montes said. “While the remaining 20 percent is invested in innovation. Our technology automates data control, management and delivery, which can result in savings of up to 60 percent of that 80 percent of the budget.”

“That money can then be reinvested in innovation,” the executive noted during a news conference held in a San Juan hotel Wednesday.

High-volume operations, such as those in the areas of health care, banking, insurance and manufacturing, could benefit from Dell’s new offering, as it has the ability to make accessible the most frequently used data quickly, while storing the rest in other areas of the server.

Luis Montaño, Dell’s storage specialist for Puerto Rico and the Caribbean, said proper management of voluminous data gains special importance with the advent of electronic medical records, which he said is expected to increase the amount of information to be handled in an exponential way.

“One of our software’s features is that it can be scaled to accommodate higher capacity and cover those expanded needs associated with medical records,” he noted.

Puerto Rico has already begun using electronic medical record technologies, although the adoption is in its early stages.

What is not in an early stage, however, is the proliferation of other data-heavy technologies, such as smartphones that require significant storage capacities, which Montes said will force providers to take a closer look at their data management systems.

For Dell, Puerto Rico is a key market in the Caribbean from where it oversees a number of other islands in the region. In response to that responsibility, the company is moving into new sales and services offices in Guaynabo, where corporate customers will be able to go for trainings and participate in pilot programs. Dell employs a staff of 20 sales people on the island, and is recruiting more.

The information and documents contained in “News is my Business” are property of this blog. You may not copy, distribute or use this information without the express written permission of this blog’s creator, unless it is for personal or educational purposes. Fees for commercial or for-profit use apply.

Author Details
Author Details
Business reporter with 30 years of experience writing for weekly and daily newspapers, as well as trade publications in Puerto Rico. My list of former employers includes Caribbean Business, The San Juan Star, and the Puerto Rico Daily Sun, among others. My areas of expertise include telecommunications, technology, retail, agriculture, tourism, banking and most other segments of Puerto Rico’s economy.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *