‘Operación Empleo’ slated for next week
“Operación Empleo,” the new administration’s first large-scale initiative through the Department of Economic Development and Commerce to offer workshops aimed at investors and private sector companies, will take place Jan. 16, government officials announced.
The event will present the benefits and advantages of the island both economically as well as in terms of infrastructure and human talent, said Economic Development and Commerce Secretary-designate Alberto Bacó.
The event was originally slated to take place last Friday, but was pushed back in response to requests from participants, he said.
“Many key investors, both local and foreign, preferred that date, given that many of them were on family vacation,” said Bacó. “For us it is more important to ensure greater attendance that results in job creation versus wanting to do an event to coincide with the governor’s swearing-in as had been contemplated.”
“Obviously, the priority is, and always will be, job creation, so this was the best decision,” Bacó said. New Gov. Alejandro García-Padilla was sworn in on Jan. 2.
The newly appointed public official explained that from the moment the event was announced, there were “many entrepreneurs who have shown interest in participating but had scheduling conflicts due to holidays.”
“Job creation is a top priority of Gov. García-Padilla to develop Puerto Rico’s economy, so we believe the initiative is an event of great significance. We see it as an opportunity to show the creativity and industriousness of our people, combined with the economic, infrastructure and technology offerings that we have on the island,” Bacó said.
The event will take place at the Sheraton Convention Center hotel in Miramar.