Royal Isabela to host ‘Open Golf Championship’
Royal Isabela — the world-class golf and private membership club on the cliffs of northwest Puerto Rico — announced it will host its inaugural “Open Golf Championship” July 26-28, at the Links at Royal Isabela.
The event will be limited to 81 golfers. Open to male and female professionals as well as amateurs, the three-day tournament will be held at individual stroke play. Players will be allowed to have caddies and most amateurs will use carts.
Professionals and men with a handicap of 4.0 and better will have an entry fee of $300 for 54 holes of play. All other categories will play 36 holes, with an entry fee of $200. Fee includes lunch for each round and a special tournament shirt.
There will be eight categories, from professionals to amateur golfers, with a maximum handicap index of 15.0 (men) and 12.0 (women). There also will be divisions for Senior (50 and above) and Super Senior (60 and above). The total purse for professionals is $5,250, with the winner taking home $1,800. Trophies will be awarded to the first- and second-place finishers in the other categories.
The categories are:
- Professionals-4.0 index: 21 players maximum, to play from the natural tees
- 4.1-8.0 index: 9 players maximum, black tees
- 8.1-12.0 index: 9 players maximum, blue tees
- 12.1-15.0 index: 9 players maximum, white tees
- Senior (open, age 50 and over): 9 players maximum, blue tees
- Super Senior (open, age 60 and over): 9 players maximum, white tees
- Women, professional-8.0 index: 9 players maximum, white tees
- Women, 8.0-12.0 index: 6 players maximum, red tees
If the maximum number of players registered exceeds the limit in any category, a qualifying round will be scheduled prior to the tournament. A separate entry fee will be required for the qualifier. The deadline for entries is July 1, 2013.