The first phase of the project will entail an investment of $30 million to build.
Hurricane María knocked out 95.2 percent of cell sites in Puerto Rico after it clobbered the island nearly a year ago, the Federal Communications Commission confirmed in a report released analyzing the effects of last year’s deadly storm.
The Federal Communications Commission approved additional immediate funding to accelerate the restoration of communications networks in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands that were damaged and destroyed during the 2017 hurricane season, it confirmed.
Liberty Business was chosen by MB Sports and Major League Baseball, producers of the recently celebrated 2018 Puerto Rico Series, to provide all the necessary communication services to during the event.
The president of the Puerto Rico Telecommunications Regulatory Board, Sandra Torres, said at a public hearing that currently 2,509 of the 2,659 antennas that provide telecommunications services in Puerto Rico are operational, representing 94 percent.
Puerto Rico’s wireless telecommunications service is at 33 percent capacity, as carriers continue working 24/7 to restore the island’s connections to the world as soon as possible, executives said.
Wireless carrier Sprint is reportedly in the final stages of acquiring competitor Open Mobile in what would be the first major change in Puerto Rico’s telecommunications landscape this year, two sources confirmed to this media outlet.
Telecommunications provider Claro and Piloto 151 announced Thursday a partnership to provide Puerto Rico’s technological start-up community the infrastructure, mentoring and training needed for their growth, representatives for both companies confirmed.
Birch Communications Inc. announced Monday its recent agreement to purchase select assets and customers of Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. The transaction will also include 20,000 customers in the United States and Puerto Rico.
The telecommunications industry is marking the 20th anniversary of the Telecom Reform Act of 1996, which in Puerto Rico sparked unprecedented levels of competition in a sector formerly dominated by a single carrier and astronomical calling rates.
The Latin American Forum of Telecommunications Regulators (known as REGULATEL for its initials in Spanish) confirmed unopposed a pair of agreements of understanding reached with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers and the Federal Communications Commission under the tenure of its chairman, Javier Rúa-Jovet.
Telecommunications service provider Claro announced Thursday it will freeze all of its mass market rates for wireless and fixed telephony, Internet and television services “in solidarity with the consumer’s economic situation.”
Home broadband adoption in Puerto Rico increased by 15 percentage points between 2010 and 2014, surging from 31 percent to 46 percent of adults using the service, according to Connect Puerto Rico’s 2014 broadband survey results released Tuesday.
The Puerto Rico Telecommunications Regulatory Board is taking an active role in the international arena, voicing a need for greater transatlantic coordination and collaboration efforts to benefit markets across the globe, which stand to gain a lot from existing and emerging technologies.
The Puerto Rico Telecommunications Regulatory Board this week became the newest public agency to join the government’s 3-1-1 central call center to provide orientation to Puerto Rico citizens on available services.
NIMB ON SOCIAL MEDIA